APPSC Group I and Group II Selection procedure changing ?
Reports are making rounds in media about the changes coming up in APPSC Group I and Group II in the upcoming notifications. These changes are aligning the Group exams in line with UPSC Civil services. These proposals are sent by APPSC for consideration to Govt. Proposed changes are
Group I (NOT IMPLEMENTED IN CURRENT GROUP-I-2011)
1) Introducing reservation in prelims while calling for Mains exam. This means the present practice of calling for mains from common merit list of prelims is abandoned .
2) Reducing the number of aspirants from prelims to mains exam to 1:15 (15 candidates are called for mains for 1 vacancy). Presently aspirants from prelims are called in 1:50.
3) Introducing a responsible authority to prepare and evaluate the examination papers.
1) Introducing Prelims(objective) and mains(4 papers; 3 objective+1 descriptive) in Group II like in Group I. Presently there is no prelims and candidates need to write 3 objective papers only.
2) Syllabus readjustment/change in Group II mains by adding more topics from Science and Environment aspects and adding a descriptive Essay paper to test candidate drafting abilities.
3) Introducing reservation in Prelims while calling for main examination.
4) Job aspirants are called in the ratio of 1:15 (15 candidates are allowed to write mains for each vacancy)
The above proposed changes are definitely going to increase the intensity of competition in groups. Interestingly there is no proposal for introduction of negative marking in prelims. Those in the Open Category (O.C) have double impact as their effective ratio is reduced to 1:7 with reservation in Prelims. As the number of candidates allowed for Mains are reduced to 1:15, administrative/financial burden on APPSC for conducting exams through exam center availability, invigilation staff, printing and evaluation are greatly reduced. This should help the Commission to conduct exams every year. These proposals are waiting for government approval.